Suicide Prevention Referrals in a Mobile Health Smoking Cessation Intervention.
Automated mobile health (mHealth) programs deliver effective smoking cessation interventions through text message platforms. Smoking is an independent risk factor for suicide, so the Department of Veterans Affairs incorporated information about the Veterans Crisis Line into its SmokefreeVET smoking cessation text messaging program. Almost 7% of all SmokefreeVET enrollees have accessed this information. Because of the reach and automated nature of this and similar programs, we recommend including a referral to a suicide prevention hotline for all smoking cessation mHealth interventions.
- Engagement and abstinence among users of a smoking cessation text message program for veterans.
- Abstinence Reinforcement Therapy (ART) for rural veterans: Methodology for an mHealth smoking cessation intervention.
- Efficacy of a text messaging (SMS) based smoking cessation intervention for adolescents and young adults: study protocol of a cluster randomised controlled trial.
- Text2Quit: an analysis of participant engagement in the mobile smoking cessation program.
- Toward an mHealth Intervention for Smoking Cessation.